John Koeing of IT Manager's Journal wrote an article discussing 7 open source business models:
- The Optimization Strategy :: (see Clayton Christensen and his Innovator's Dilemma)
- The Dual License Strategy :: (see the GNU GPL and Sleepycat's license)
- The Consulting Strategy :: (see Clay Shirky's Open Source Interest Horizon)
- The Subscription Strategy :: (see related Culpepper article)
- The Patronage Strategy ::
- The Hosted Strategy :: (See Scott McNealy's predictions)
- The Embedded Strategy ::
Frank Heckler also wrote an older article about open source business models.
Ganesh Prasad muses over open source-onomics.